|Legislature Considering Minimum Wage Hike-Make Your Voice Heard!|
Oregon already has one of the highest minimum wages in the country. But the Legislature is set to approve a minimum wage hike in the next few days that could kill as many as 67,000 jobs.
We need you to make your voice heard today and tell legislators in Salem to stop the drastic minimum wage hike and consider the unintended consequences.
Proponents of this increase keep telling us that their policies will be good for all of us. Really?
How can you help?
- A massive mandated 40% to 70% wage hike will kill jobs. Research estimates as many as 67,000 lost Oregon jobs. Small business in hospitality and agriculture will be especially hard hit. Teen unemployment, which is already high, will go up.
- Cash-strapped schools will have even less to spend on kids. One Portland area school district estimates the mandated wage hike will cost $4.4 million - which equals 51 teachers.
- Local governments will have to cut services or raise property taxes. Linn County estimates the mandated hike will cost $2.25 million a year - requiring cuts in law enforcement, social services or higher property taxes.
- Fixed income seniors, working families and college students will get stung. The massive wage hike will raise the cost of everyday essentials like food and childcare. Some families will lose food stamp and childcare assistance and college work-study students could lose financial aid.
You can find your legislator's phone number and email address by clicking here.
- Let your legislator know how you feel by calling or writing.
A draft letter about SB 1532 has already been written; please modify and send it to your legislator by clicking here.
Thank you for helping defend Oregon jobs.